Thanksgiving is all about spending time with loved ones and being grateful for our surroundings. If you have a RV/Motorhome, and plan on having Turkey Day on the road, there is no reason you have to miss out on the festivities!
Planning Thanksgiving with your friends/family in your Campervan can be one of the greatest holiday memories you make! Spending the holidays in a motorhome/RV is usually a relaxing alternative to the hectic hustle and bustle of the season. Thanksgiving in a Campervan is also a great way to simplify the celebration and an opportunity to reflect on what the holiday is really about.
Look over some of these bellow tips and make your Thanksgiving 2018 a total success! For more ideas and recipes, glance over last year’s post on having the ultimate Turkey Day feast, RV style!
Tips for the ultimate Thanksgiving in your RV:
If the idea of cooking a 16 pound bird in your RV’s oven overwhelms you… it should. Motorhome ovens are great but let’s face it, they are not ideal for large scale items. Consider taking the following shortcuts:
- Smaller sized Turkeys should be just fine in a Campervan oven (6-8lb). If you have a larger feast planned, cook two smaller turkeys and tent one with foil to preserve its moisture.
- Cut your Turkey in half for space and faster cooking.
- Consider cooking your Turkey over the fire using a Dutch Oven. It may take some time and work (keeping the fire going for 3-4 hours) but it will be a delicious and satisfying achievement. If you have a larger group, take turkey shifts!
- Use an Instant Pot! Instant pots are amazing for cooking fabulous meals in Campervans. These pressure cookers can easily make everything from stews to ribs! These gadgets cost anywhere from $50-$100 but are well worth the investment. Try this turkey and gravy Instant Pot Recipe: https://www.chewoutloud.com/instant-pot-turkey-breast-with-gravy/
- Use an Electric Roaster. This is another gadget we suggest you look into if you use your RV/Motorhome frequently. You can cook the turkey in this pan and save plenty of kitchen space for the rest of your goodies!
- Deep Fryers can be messy and require a lot of caution but can make the most succulent and flavorful birds.
While the Turkey may be the star of the Thanksgiving show, everyone knows that the sides are what really make the meal! Consider the following when planning a stress-free and delicious array of TK Day sides.
- Crock pots and Instapots are great for sides! This can leave more room in your campervans oven for turkey. Recipes such as sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole and much more can be easily made in a crockpot/instapot.
- Use your campfire! Foil packet sides taste incredible and will leave you with more oven space
- Use your RV’s stove top… Stuffing, vegetables and potatoes can all easily be made on your Campervans stove.
- Make ahead! Packing some easy to freeze or reheatable sides can save you time for hanging out, hiking, playing football and other fun activities.
Check out these easy Campervan Thanksgiving Side Recipes:
- One large yam/sweet potato per person
for each sweet potato make sure you have
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup marshmallows
- a dash of pumpkin spice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Wash potatoes well and prick with a fork. Wrap in foil and cook over campfire using a dutch oven for about 20-25 minutes. While potatoes are cooking, mix spice, sugar, marshmallows and pecans together. Pull off of direct flame, let cool and once you can handle the potatoes open and slice in half. Place butter in each potato and add mixture for melting. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole:
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 8 cups green beans of 4 cans gren beans (drained)
- 2 & ⅔ cup fried onions (2 large canisters)
- Salt and Peper
- add all ingredients to slow cooker, except for second canister of fried onions
- cook on low for 6-8 hours, season with salt and pepper
- top with remaining fried onions
Thanksgiving dinner is not complete without dessert! Think about the following to make sure you end your Campervan feast with a bang!
- Check out the local bakery or market! Depending on where you post up your rig, it may be a treat to find the locals favorite dessert.
- Slow cookers and dutch ovens are your friend! So many creative desserts can be made with these gadgets
Classic Dutch Oven Apple Crisp
- 7 large granny smith or any other prefered type of apple
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup butter
- dash of salt
- Peel and cut apples. Place in dutch oven and add water.
- Mix other ingredients to make topping. Roll out or use hands to flatten dough. Place dough mixture over apples and cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil, check consistency and bake more if you prefer.
- Serve warm with Ice Cream
Very Berry Cherry Cobbler
- Assortment of cherries or other berries (frozen or fresh)
- one box, yellow cake batter
- Using a 10 inch dutch oven, layer berries, cake batter and butter. Heat over coals/open flames until batter is cooked!
- Serve warm with ice cream
We hope we have left you with some easy ideas for a great campervan Thanksgiving event! Above anything, the holidays and RVing are all about making memories with loved ones!
Thinking about purchasing a new motorhome? Classic Vans is Northern California’s premier dealer of new and used Class B motorhomes, Conversion Vans and Wheelchair Vans. For over 30 years, Classic Vans has been serving the Bay Area in Hayward, California. Classic Vans also provides nationwide, low-cost van delivery, pairing customers all over the country with the travel vehicles and vans of their dreams!
Visit www.classicvans.com or call (866) 848-1216 and find your next vehicle today!