Owning a class B motorhome, campervan or RV provides so many opportunities for gathering with loved ones around the table. One of the great things about traveling this way is being able to cook your favorite meals as well as add some new delicious foods to your recipe repertoire.
Van travel is also a great way to cut down on your overall vacation expenses. It‘s estimated that a family of four staying in hotels will spend an estimated $1,100 per week in dining and food costs. Compare that to cooking meals in a campervan, which can cost you around $265 or less.
Below, we’ve listed six easy-to-make, top-rated campervan dinner recipes. And just in case you missed last week’s post about mouthwatering breakfast recipes, be sure to check out that post.
Okay, now let’s dive into the delicious recipes. Yum!
Dutch Oven Vegetarian Chili & Cornbread
This healthy and hearty dinner can be made with ground turkey or beef if you don’t want vegetarian. For easier prep on the road, make the meat ahead of time and store in the fridge.
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1-2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of kidney beans drained
- 1 (14.4 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can of diced green chiles
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 medium diced onion
For cornbread topper:
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp of honey
- In a 10” 4-quart Dutch oven, over medium heat, sauté the onion in olive oil, until soft and gold. Add spices and garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute before adding beans, tomatoes, chiles, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Prepare cornbread batter by mixing all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine mix, milk, eggs, and honey to form a batter
- Remove Dutch oven from direct heat and reduce to a bubble. Pour the cornbread batter over chili as evenly as possible and cover with a lid. Bake in oven or over coals for 20 minutes at 400-425 degrees F.
- Add favorite toppings and enjoy!
6-Can Chicken Tortilla Soup
This tortilla soup is tasty and simple — our favorite combo for campervan travel! You’ll surely be making this at home as well. This dinner is perfect for those chilly nights on the road.
- 1 (15 oz) can of drained black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) can of whole kernel corn
- 1 (12.5 fl oz) can of chicken chunks, drained
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz) can of diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- Any toppings you like (tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, sour cream, etc.)
- Stir together black beans, chicken broth, corn, chicken chunks, cream of chicken soup, and diced tomatoes with green chile peppers in a large saucepan.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cook at simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
One-Pot Mac and Cheese
We’ve seen this variation done with tuna or chicken added for protein, but any combo will do. Get creative with this recipe for a fun and tasty dinner.
- 2 cups of elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 4 cups of shredded cheese (your choice)
- 1-2 tbsp of mustard
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- 5-ounce bag of Kettle Jalapeno chips
- Your choice of protein (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine macaroni, water, butter, and salt. Cover and heat for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender and almost all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the shredded cheese, mustard, and garlic powder.
- Serve with crushed Kettle chips on top for additional crunch.
Artichoke and Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken
Imagine sitting in your campervan and watching the sunset over the Pacific Ocean, a glass of wine in hand and this amazing dinner on the table. This elegant dinner recipe is great for a special celebration such as a birthday or anniversary.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt, or garlic salt and pepper
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- ¼ cup of sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 (14 oz) can of artichoke hearts in water, drained and quartered
- Pitted kalamata olives (optional)
- Season both sides of each chicken breast generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Brown each chicken breast, side to side. Set aside.
- Add tomatoes and cook with chicken for about 1 minute, stirring continuously. Add in pesto, artichokes, and return to chicken pan. Cover and reduce heat to medium, then allow chicken to simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Coconut Red Lentil Stew with Kale
This recipe is so easy and gourmet. For a larger group sizes, consider doubling the recipe to make sure everyone gets enough.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of cumin
- ¼ tsp of cayenne
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 oz) can of broth
- 2 tbsp of coconut milk powder (found in international section of most grocery stores)
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- Sauté shallot on medium heat with olive oil for about 2 minutes, or until soft. Add minced garlic, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, juices, broth, coconut milk powder, red lentils, and salt. Combine all ingredients and stir.
- Add kale. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until lentils break apart and become creamy.
- Season to taste and serve.
Kielbasa with Peppers and Potatoes
When preparing this classic camping meal, consider adding some red beans to make it heartier.
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1 (16 oz) package of smoked kielbasa sausage, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 medium red potatoes, diced
- Salt (or garlic salt) and pepper
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Place kielbasa and potatoes in the saucepan. Cover and cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Mix red and yellow bell peppers into the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot when peppers are tender.
Are you already planning your next motorhome or RV vacation? Find the best new and used travel vehicles for sale at Classic Vans. For more than 30 years, we’ve been family owned and operated. Classic Vans specializes in pairing quality vans with our beloved customers.
Browse our inventory online or contact us to find the conversion van, wheelchair van or campervan of your dreams.
Don’t live in California? That’s okay. Learn about our low cost nationwide van delivery.