There are several types of conversions aside from the commonly found passenger van. From travel vans for the adventure type, to mobile office vans for everyday work – there are so many uses for these vehicles!
Below is a list and information about some of the more common types of conversion vans and why they can be so useful:
1. Disability Vans/Wheelchair Vans: Mobility vans come with any or all of the following structural modifications that enable a person in a wheelchair to use the van:
- Raised roof to allow proper clearance through the door
- Raised roof to allow adequate head clearance
- Lowered or dropped floor to allow proper clearance through the door.
These changes are made necessary because a person sitting in a wheelchair will almost always sit higher than a passenger sitting in the van’s seats. In all cases, a platform lift is added to either the rear doors or passenger side doors to enable the person in the wheelchair to enter or exit the van. A lowered floor modification can be done in the cargo area. Standard lowered floor conversions are typically 6” to 9”.
2. Travel/Family Van: Travel vans can be offered in low tops as well as high tops. The typical travel van will seat 7 passengers – 3 passengers on the rear bench and four in the captain chairs. One of the reasons conversion vans make such great travel vehicles is that the rear bench commonly converts into a bed. These vans have large windows with shades, storage cabinets and a TV. More current models are usually equipped with flat screen entertainment systems that include high-end sound and gaming equipment.
3. Motorhomes: Class B campervans are built on full-size cargo van chassis and are sometimes lengthened by a couple feet. Lengths can range from 17-20 feet. These vans have extra features that enable camping, such as a toilet, fridge, microwave, sink, side sofa and often times a stove.
These are just a few of the more common types of conversion vans. Shuttle vans, office vans, vans for luxury transportation…the possibilities are endless! At Classic Vans, we invite your to talk to one of our specialists about creating the custom conversion van of your dreams. Simply dial (866) 370-8222 or fill out a contact form.
Please check out our inventory page. Whether new or used, find out how a conversion van can give you the flexibility you require to enhance your day-to-day personal or business transportation!