Making sure you or your loved one’s wheelchair van is in tip-top condition should be a priority!
Mobility vans offer so much freedom to those living with a disability. Since wheelchair vehicles have a lot more parts to them than a standard vehicle, doing a semi-frequent overview of your equipment can save you a lot of stress and money.
Refer to this checklist next time you have the opportunity to give your vehicle a proper audit:
- Look over your ramp. Whether its manual or automatic, make sure there’s no debris or clutter that could get stuck in the mechanics. Giving the ramp a good vacuum or cleaning every few months is a good idea.
- Check the tightness of all bolts associated with your ramp. Knowing how to quickly tighten one can alleviate a problem before it starts.
- Properly lubricated ramps and equipment will be easier to use and last longer. A $7 can of WD-40 can go a long way!
- Is the ramp stowing properly? Check for any strange sounds or slowness.
- Do all switches and remotes work properly? Are their batteries charged?
- Clean and lube ramp hinges properly.
- Verify your van’s sliding door is unobstructed.
- Check your van’s sliding door to make sure it is properly lubricated and aligned
- Check that your van’s battery is in good condition.
- Take some time to look over your van’s transfer seat.
- How’s your tire pressure? Is it affected by the weight of the wheelchair?
- Verify there are no exposed wires around the ramp or interior cabin space.
- Take a look at all restraints and tie-downs.
- Inspect the ramp’s kneeling system. Make sure the rollers and chain are lubricated properly.
- Always keep an emergency kit handy. It’s a good idea to have one with first-aid supplies as well as a wrench, screw driver, wire cutters, lubricant and more.
Owning a mobility van can mean a greater quality of life for you or your family members with a disability. Keeping your vehicle regularly maintained can ensure you get the maximum value out of your purchase.
Having a local mechanic who has knowledge of wheelchair equipment can also be extremely helpful. YouTube videos are another helpful resource for finding quick fixes and maintenance tips, starting with this one:
Searching for a handicap accessible van? Classic Vans has a large selection of quality new and used mini and full-sized mobility vehicles. Whether you’re searching for a rear entry or side entry van, Classic Vans customizes in pairing customers with vehicles to fit their specific needs. Browse our inventory
or call us at (866) 370-8222. We deliver vehicles anywhere in the country, so be sure to ask about our low-cost nationwide van delivery.